Located on volcanic soils derived from nearby Mount Vulture, Aglianico del Vulture is the only DOC in Basilicata. It was awarded Denominazione di Origine Controllata (DOC) status in 1971. Aglianico del Vulture is a wine which has more than 2000 years of history and represents the perfect marriage between the rich structure of the volcanic soil and the gentle exposure of the Venosa hills.
Aglianico del Vulture DOC can only be produced in a handful of communes, one fo which is Venosa, home to Cantina di Venosa founded in 1957.
"Vignali" Aglianico del Vulture from Cantina di Venosa is the latest wine to be imported onto Irish shores by RetroVino.
We love it's full bodied, intense flavour, it's firm tannic structure and chocolate-cherry notes.
The 2007 vintage has softened beautifully and reveals a rich texture. This wine has the potential to improve in the bottle for 6 to 20 years.
- Grape variety: Aglianico 100%.
- Vine training: Espalier
- Planting density: About 3.500 vines per Ha.
- Vineyards ages: 10 to 20 years old.
- Yield: 55 to 65 hl/Ha.
- Altitude: Between 400 and 550 metres a.s.l.
- Production district: The Aglianico DOC. area, which comprises 15 communes in the northeastern part of the Potenza province.
- Harvest period: Usually from 10th to 30th of October.
- Grapes picking method: By hand early in the morning ,into up to 12 kos. boxes, followed by immediate transportation to the Cellars.
- Wine-making: Maceration in small stainless steel containers for 7-8 days at between 23° to 26° C.; fermentation to dryness and malolactic fermentation completed in stainless steel tanks.
- Maturation: Partly in small French oak barrels and partly in Slovenian oak 25 and 50 hectolitre casks for 12 months.
- Tasting notes: A modern fine Aglianico vey well structured Colour: ruby red with garnet hints Bouquet: raspberry and blackcurrant fruit with spicy notes
- Taste: dry, persistent, very pleasant harmony.
- Alcohol: 12.5% vol.
- Food matching: A versatile wine to accompany Mediterranean dishes, grilled meats and cheese.
- Serving temperature: Open some time before drinking and serve at 16° to 18° C.in plain red wine glasses.